This week we continue praying through China’s major cities with Xi’an, the capital of Shaanxi Province. One of the oldest cities in China and one of its great ancient capitols, today Xi’an is home to more than 8 million people in its urban center and 13 million in the metropolitan area. It is considered one of China’s quickly rising megacities.
Xi’an has a long and fascinating history, playing a vital role in the development of China’s culture and politics. Perhaps most well known outside of China for the Terracotta Army, Xi’an also boasts being China’s ancient hub for the Silk Road. As such, there are many ethnic and religious minorities to be found in Xi’an – within the city, both Christianity and Islam date back to the 7th century AD.
Along with many other Chinese cities, Xi’an is rapidly developing. It has become a manufacturing and software center, as well as remaining a huge area for both domestic and international tourism. It installed a subway system in the last ten years, and scores of universities are located in the city.
As you take time this week to pray for Xi’an, consider joining us to pray at 10:02am every morning!
How to pray:
– Along with many other Chinese cities, Xi’an has grown rapidly and faces many demographic challenges. As people continue to move to the area in search of work and economic opportunity, the city continues to grow more crowded and social services are increasingly stressed. Pray for good city planning and wise management.
– Pray for the physical reality of Xi’an. Pray for the pollution to be addressed with sound solutions. Pray for the health of the population and for good healthcare.
– Pray for Xi’an’s government. Pray for wise men and women to lead the city in righteousness. Pray for peace and stability.
Would You Pray With Us Today?
– Pray for Xi’an’s educational institutions and its student populations.
– Pray for the wealthy in Xi’an to show mercy and charity in order to use their wealth for the good of the city. Pray for protection for the poor in Xi’an and for their identities as bearers of God’s image to be recognized. Pray for the middle class in Xi’an to be just and righteous in the callings God has given to them.
– Pray for the families of Xi’an. Pray for men and women to be faithful and loving in their marriages. Pray for children to honor their parents and for parents to wisely guide their children. Pray against a rising divorce rate in China. Pray for single men and women who are desperate to find spouses in a culture that puts great emphasis on marriage.
– Pray for the church in Xi’an. Pray for the church to love the city and seek its good. Pray for the church to be bold in serving its neighbors and in proclaiming the good news of Jesus. Pray for unity among the brothers and sisters; for doctrinal soundness and protection against cults; and for wise servant-leaders among the pastorate.